Although there is no specific mention in any known records of the location of the first fire whistle/alarm system for Heilwood, a 1911 photo shows a large tower located at the rear of house #33 (see photo). This was probably the original fire whistle, since the Hose House containing the manual host cart, fire ladders, and extinguishers were located at this same location.
Sometime after 1911, the fire whistle was moved to the Sunnyside area. This move may have been brought about by then-Mine Superintendent T. R. Johns. It also appears that the Hose House remained at the rear of house #33 until sometime later, and then was moved to the former Hoist House location directly below the Carpenter’s Shop in the Sunnyside area.
The new fire whistle was located on the southern end of Sunnyside atop a wooden platform (see photo) that was supported by four large timber poles. Through a pattern of sirens (see photo) the whistle directed the men of the volunteer fire company to the exact location of the fire. Additionally, the whistle was used to alert people to a problem in the mine, for celebrations, and to usher in various holidays.