This two-story frame building was constructed in the summer of 1905 at a cost of $680. Located directly below the Heilwood Inn (see photo) it was utilized as a meat market/butcher shop until around 1919. According to tax records, Steve Wearly was the butcher.
The January 16, 1907 issue of The Indiana Weekly Messenger reported that O. W. Mitchell, of the firm Mitchell Brothers, was in Pittsburgh purchasing a railroad car load of western cattle. Some or all of this meat was probably destined for the Heilwood meat market for sale to the townspeople.
This location at some point was also the home of Ira Wilson, the railroad station manager. Additionally, due to overcrowding in the regular school building, the front room of the structure was sometimes used as an auxiliary classroom (see photo).
On February 19, 1924, the building was completely destroyed by a fire caused by faulty wiring.