An advertisement published in the 1915-16 timeframe (see photo) contains a reference to “The Heilwood Farms.” While no other reference can be found to these farms, The Indiana Times article quoted above suggests that some farming took place.
We also know that from the 1920s to the 1940s, the coal companies made plots of ground, probably located within the 400 acres of the Dairy, available to Heilwood residents, on which they could grow vegetables for their families. This service was free and provided on a first-come, first-served basis!
While seemingly unrelated, all these occurences might explain “The Heilwood Farms” described in the ad. It was probably an attempt by the coal company to create an area that would produce vegetables for the town of Heilwood.
*In 1917, the Penn Mary Coal Company plowed a six acre tract and divided it into 100′ x 20′ garden plots. These plots were free to their employees.