Photograph courtesy of Historical Collections and Labor Archives, Penn State University Libraries.
Map showing location of The Barn, circa 1926.
James Giles, teamster, at The Barn (circa 1922)
Harry Stahl (on left), probably a ‘company’ mule, and an unidentified man, taken in front of The Barn below the Heilwood Inn (date unknown)
Constructed in 1910, this 40′ x 50′, single-story, framed building was located south of the Heilwood Inn in a complex that also contained the Coal Tipple and Ice House (see map).
Used primarily as a boarding facility for the coal company’s horses and mules, The Barn was also utilized for boarding of mine personnel’s private animals. (see photo).
In addition, townspeople or groups could rent sleighs, wagons, or some of the coal company’s horses or mules for parades and special functions (see photos).
It’s possible that the coal company also utilized the hillside directly below Front Street / 1st Street as a pasture for the livestock boarded in The Barn.
The construction date engraved in the foundation of The Barn (1910)
Charles Kirker’s horse ‘Dan’ with buggy.