Although the exact date of construction is unknown, the coal tipple served the community until the demise of the coal mines in the immediate area of Heilwood in 1928.
Located in the complex directly below the Carpenter’s Shop, the wooden tipple provided a storage facility for the house coal that was hoisted up the incline plane from the mines a short distance away. (see photos).
Company employees Zed Taylor or Harry D. Stahl, utilizing an open wagon with a team of horses, delivered the coal to townspeople who had placed an order. The coal company, while not charging for the electricity that they provided for the homes, charged a fee for the house coal.