Organized in 1880, the Polish National Alliance (PNA) was formed in an effort to unite the members of the Polish immigrant community in America behind the dual causes of Poland’s independence and their own advancement into the mainstream of American society. By 1881, the PNA had established its own newspaper and a little later, began selling insurance to its members, including burial insurance. In time, the PNA would become the largest of all the ethnic-based fraternal insurance benefit societies in the United States.
There is very little information concerning PNA Lodge 2190 in Heilwood. The actual date for the founding of the Lodge, as well as membership information, is unknown at this time. However, based on interviews with current and former Heilwood residents, it’s probable that this Lodge met either in vacant houses or the homes of its members. The Heilwood Lodge was still officially organized as late as 1961, with Antoni Ligas as President and Stanley Augustyn as Secretary. At that time, the Heilwood Lodge was combined with Lodge 302 in Council 100, District 8, and new consolidated officers were named.